Tomorrow is my first popup shop in the studio! Terribly last minute, it was last weekend the I realized the month was almost done a we hadn’t done our monthly popup. After a quick check to see if anyone else was interested, Ed and I landed on tomorrow (March 25) as the day. Needless to say I have spent the last week frantically trying to build some amount of stock to have on had and forgot to properly advertise.
Here hoping I’m not the only one there.
(for the record the address is 980 17th Avenue, Santa Cruz, Ca – Building 4, studio 55)
I have been using the project feature of the Threadbias.com site and really enjoying being able to track my projects. Periodically I will be posting copies here.
The wee boy is getting bigger and not needing all his Aden and Anais swaddles so I decided to make something else out of them. The fabric is lovely and they are a good size blanket giving me plenty of yardage to work with. Although the Sweet Pea dress is a dress it also works nicely as a tunic top. It has raglan sleeves and an easy fit which seems quite fitting for the lightness of the fabric. It also allows for a lot of flexibility in sizing. My daughter wore the ones I made her for quite a long time.
Pattern: Sweet Pea Dress – on Threadbias(Also available on Etsy) Fabric: Aden & Anais monkey print swaddle, brown slub jersey Prep: Since I’ve washed the swaddle a few times it has developed this nice waffle texture, great for a blanket but not so good for cutting so ironing it first. I’m also removing the A&A tags so they can be added back as a reminder of where the fabric came from.
Cutting: The swaddles are not very stable so I like to use underlay to keep it from shifting around. The trick to using underlay is to use a paper that is more stable then the one you are cutting. I’m using jersey for the band and to make things simple I’m putting on the fusing before I cut the pieces out. Both have to be cut anyways just this way the jersey is stablized before cutting instead of after.
I guess I have to get my sewing machine set up, something I haven’t done yet since moving.
Sewing: Even though I wrote the instructions I’m still having to follow them since it’s been a while since I last made one of these dresses. A trick for sewing fused placket facings: if you want a clean finish on the open edge, seam the fusing to the facing along that edge (wrong side and glue side out) and fold glue side in before ironing. The seam allowance ends up under the fusing leaving a nice clean edge. (see the picture.)
To cut down on how flouncy the pleats are, (this dress if for a boy,) I tacked the pleats for the first 1 1/4″ leaving 3/4″ visible once the band is on.
I opted to use french seam since the fabric is so light (serging may just pull out), makes for a soft inside and gives it a heirloom feel.
I stay stitched the edge of the band facing to make it easier to fold and more stable.
Finishing:I finished it with elasticized sleeve hem, a wide bottom hem and snap closures.
Today I released the lastes baby pattern, the Big V little v Pullover. This unisex pattern features a ribbed v-neck with the options of: Big V, deep-v with wider band and little v, shallow-v with narrower band as well as long or short sleeves. Make with sweatshirt fleece for chilly days or jersey for simple coverup.
*Edited to add: this pattern will be the first to also be released in larger sizes! I am currently working on grading it for sizes 3T – size 8 (kids).
I was planing on having the Incy Wincy Bikini be the next release but this one came together just a little faster. The bikini is still coming, I plan on releaseing it this weekend.