My kids school, like many kids schools, has a yearly auction to raise money for the PTA. Since I am not much of an auction goer I opt to help out by making stuff, preferably stuff that involves the kids or school in some way. Last year I made a Hang Ten Jacket using fabric my daughters 1st grade class designed using nature objects and negative print making.
This year I introduced her 2nd grade class to ice dying for Ice Week.
With the guidance of Beth Mastrudeh we devised a way to do the dying safely in the classroom by premixing the dye with water and freezing it instead of dusting the dye on top of the ice cubes. It created a bit of a different effect but was equally lovely and safe to demonstrate to the kids.
At the end of Ice Week after the kids had been studying how ice works I came to visit the class. I gave a little talk on dying fabric before they watched as the ice cubes melted and mixed dying they fabric before there eyes. The kids had lots of great questions and were excited to see the fabric once the ice had all melted. At the end of the day I took the fabric home, washed it and then took it to the studio to be turned into handbags.
The fabric became two handbags, one fold-over clutch with a leather asymmetric bottom and the second a rectangular clutch with leather strap. Ready for the auction!
This year they are running the auction a little differently and included a public online auction which the bags are a part of. Want a interesting one of kind handbag? Go bid and support a good cause! (The photos on the link aren’t the best but I am including plenty here and below)
It seemed to take forever to get these patterns ready and listed but I finally managed to get the maternity versions of the Park and Parkette done. Now I’m finally getting to posting about it.
It started way back with the design of the Parkette top, the short sleeve slightly simplified version of the Park top. I was nearly finished it and the mini me versions (both are nearly ready but not available yet) when I got pregnant and needed something to wear. At 23 week I did technically still fit my Park and Parkette top but the fit is kind of off, now at 37 weeks a maternity version is a necessity. Lucky for me since they are my own patterns the simple solution was making a maternity version of them.
The fit is what really makes the style of a top and how wearable it is. The difficultly with maternity is you can’t just go up a size. I remember trying on one of my husbands tshirts nearing the end of my first pregnancy (at the point when our waist sizes matched) and thinking even if this “fits” it still looks like a sack on me. I do not like wearing sacks. Sacks are rarely attractive on anyone.
For my patterns I have added extra in the bust as well as the belly while leaving the back, shoulders and neckline relatively alone only adjusting what was needed to match. The result is a top the looks for the most part like its non-maternity counterpart, it just fits better.
Non-maternity vs. maternity at 23 weeks
The Parkette top maternity with a growing belly, 26 weeks vs. 35 weeks
It’s a new year already, and it amazes me how much I’ve got done but yet to finish. This past year I’ve managed to start a variety of patters but all but one is still in the works. They all are close to being done but something has kept me from managing to complete them. This year I hope to change that and I think I have started out on a good foot thanks to dinosaurs and cold weather.
The wee girl does not like to dress for the weather. Even when it’s cold and she’s shivering she will still flat out refuse to wear coats, hats, socks, etc. As an attempt to entice her into dressing warmer I thought I’d make sure it was stuff she’d want to wear. First I tried getting her into a hoodie by turning it into a dinosaur hoodie. I used this tutorial from Ginger & George. It works sometimes, like when she wants to go rawring and stomping around in it.
Then I tried I knitted her a hat, a dinosaur hat at no less. Well at lest she will wear the hat.
The pattern turned out super cute so I decided to release it. This is my first knitting pattern and with that and I’m a left handed knitter I learned tons! Julie from Feather Press Knits has been and continues to be a huge help. The Dinosaur Hat is available on both Etsy and Ravelry.
Ok may not nessesarily yellow polk-dot but it could be. The Incy Wincy Bikini pattern was release yesterday. Incy Wincy Bikini is a 5 piece set which includes both fitted and gathered triangle string tops, bandeau top and low riding bottoms in regular and sway-back for slightly more coverage. Pick your fabric, pick your style and look great poolside.
At long last I managed to get photos taken, the notes page done and it ready for release. Althought my paterns assume you have sewn before, I did included notes about sewing swimwear covering a bit about fabric, stretch, elastic and equipment.
Today I released the lastes baby pattern, the Big V little v Pullover. This unisex pattern features a ribbed v-neck with the options of: Big V, deep-v with wider band and little v, shallow-v with narrower band as well as long or short sleeves. Make with sweatshirt fleece for chilly days or jersey for simple coverup.
*Edited to add: this pattern will be the first to also be released in larger sizes! I am currently working on grading it for sizes 3T – size 8 (kids).
I was planing on having the Incy Wincy Bikini be the next release but this one came together just a little faster. The bikini is still coming, I plan on releaseing it this weekend.