Today I finally moved my sewing machines into the studio. Now it feels like I’m really moved in.
It has taken a lot of work to get this far. When I first called about the space and they said it had no roof I went to see it totally expecting not to take it. Although I was happy to find that it wasn’t open to the elements, it was dark, dirty and neglected. I could tell though with a little work it could be really good and after some deliberation ended up taking it. (My landlord promising to install new lights and make modifications, helped my decision).
The artist in the space before me was a welder and primarily used the space for storage since he did all his welding outside for fire safety reasons, hence the neglect. In fact he never even put his name on the door, merely covering over the previous tenants name with painters tape. He did kindly leave some nice flower pots and such behind making our little courtyard even nicer. The artist before him used the space as a gallery and installed the wall, originally a T shape. One of her painting tags is still taped to the closets wall, I think I’ll likely keep it there.
After moving in I painted all but the back and exterior wall (due to water damage), cleaned (they changed colour when I did) and painted the floor. I built the clothing rack out of plumbing parts from Ace using this tutorial. I added chalkboard paint to the edge of the divider wall for note taking and added the head on the door. My lovely neighbour Lynn moved out in February and left me a bookcase and a hand stencilled table. Slowly the space has come together though there are always projects to do.