Project Post – Super Simple Sundress (Pillowcase Dress)

Projects

I have been using the project feature of the Threadbias.com site and really enjoying being able to track my projects. Periodically I will be posting copies here.

As a primarily knitwear designer and a non-quilter I rarely get to play with the interesting and fun printed cotton I see around. But some times, on the odd occasion, an idea for something grabs hold and I have the perfect excuse to play. The heat wave that hit the west coast has been such an occasion, whats better for hot weather the loose cotton! Since I’m not about to make something for myself, (too much fabric needed and too close to being done with pregnancy) the wee girl was the perfect candidate. Some super simple sundresses (inspired by some I had seen on etsy) seen to be a good project and a 50% off sale at Hancock Fabrics seem to be a good opportunity.

The main fabric prints were picked by the wee girl while I picked the coordinating print. I used 1 yard of main and 1/2 yard of coordinating fabric for each dress.

Pattern, what pattern? This time I winged it and just went off of a few basic measurements by the width of the fabric. I measured from her shoulders to her knees for an approximate length and just ripped the fabric to the appropriate length. I then folded it in half and then in half again keeping the centre fold about 1/2″ from the edge or at the edge of the selfedge. Next I cut what will become armholes, basic j-ish shapes out of the outer edge and centre of the fabric. The neck is a drawstring so I ripped a length of coordinating fabric apron. 4″ – 6″ wide and another 3″ – 4″ wide for the hem. That would be about the extent of the the pattern, real precise eh?

Sewing is equally as simple as the “pattern/cutting”. I seamed the open selfedge edges together at about 1/2″ seam allowance or whatever the selfedge was and pressing open. I then finished the armholes with bias tape and folded the top edge down and topstitched it to make a casing. To give the hem a longer life (ability to be easily lengthened) I finished it with a facing on the outside that can be dropped and refaced to make the dress longer if necessary. I seamed the facing the hem with right side to the wrong side. I then understiched the seam allowance to the body and fliped the facing to the front and topstiched it in place along it’s top edge. Voila! after making the draw string and treading to through the two casings I’m done!

She now has a few in variety of prints, even some of her dollies have matching dresses.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s